Preserve the Life of you Concrete
No decorative concrete installation is complete without the application of a sealer. Taking the time to put down this final layer of protection not only prolongs the life of your creative handiwork, but can also enhance and preserve its appearance.
The benefits, depending on the product used, include:
- Enriching the color intensity of the concrete, whether the color is integral, a stain or dye, or obtained from a dry-shake hardener and antiquing release.
- Adding sheen to the surface ranging from satin to high gloss.
- Blocking the penetration of dirt, oil, grease, chemicals, and stains, making the concrete easier to clean and maintain.
- Inhibiting dusting of the surface.
- Preventing the intrusion of water and chlorides, which minimizes freeze-thaw damage.
- Protecting against abrasion and wear.
To obtain all these great perks, however, you must choose the right sealer for the job at hand. You'll find hundreds of products on the market to suit just about every type of concrete application, but no one sealer is perfect for all projects. Even worse, using the wrong sealer or applying it improperly can ruin an otherwise flawless decorative concrete installation.
To help you sort through the options and avoid making mistakes you'll regret later, here's an overview of the basic types of sealers available, followed by a list of questions to ask when shopping around for the best product for your needs.